Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Ballet


_
I love the ballet - when I was a little girl I dreamed of being a ballerina (I guess most girls do) but instead I took tap lessons with my sister. No offence but shuffle-ball-change did not match up to grand jeté. I cried the first time I saw the San Francisco Ballet perform Swan Lake (thank you Karen) and each Christmas I can hardly wait for the Nutcracker to arrive. I love the story - the costumes - the dance of the sugar plum fairy - the rat king - all of it. I also love the music - thank you Tchaikovsky!! And with two little girls in the house it isn't hard to find someone to share it with._

A little known fact._

While Nutcracker is synonymous with Christmas, the first complete production in America was performed in 1944 by the San Francisco Ballet. _

In 1944, San Francisco Ballet Director William Christensen wrote to the Library of Congress for a copy of the complete Tchaikovsky score. For details of the original Maryinsky Theatre production, Christensen talked to two former members of the Russian Imperial Ballet, Alexandra Danilova and George Balanchine. It was never intended it to become an annual production, but it is a tradition now!_

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...