Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Organizing the Garage

_

_
We recently celebrated 15 years in our house. I can still remember what our big empty garage looked like the day we moved in, and how much fun our boys - then 3 and 5 - loved running all around such a big space. These days though, it is under a mountain of stuff. Stuff we don't ever use. Stuff piled so high we don't even know half of what's in there and couldn't find it even if we tried!! So this Saturday my husband and I - along with our two now grown sons - are going to begin to clean out that mess of a garage. My one obstacle will be my husband - who is a bit of a pack rat, and my motto is -- if we don't use it - it goes. Have a ever mentioned that my husband Mark and I are opposites. I guess it's true that they attract, but have you ever tried to organize something with someone who is your opposite? Wish me luck!!
_
Here's my plan of attack.
_
1. Assess the clutter. Start by creating three categories: keep, donate, and toss. As I go through the items, I assign each one to a category. If we rarely use a piece, it’s a good candidate for the donate or toss pile.
_
2. Donate or toss. Contact local charities and arrange for a pickup of items to be donated; put the toss items out with the trash or recycling.
_
3. Edit the keep pile. Sort the items we're keeping into new categories, such as sporting equipment, power tools, etc. Assign each category a defined location.
_
4. Label items. Give anything that is not plainly identifiable a clear label.
_
5. I only use plastic storage boxes. Cardboard boxes, no matter how strong, bend and dent with frequent use and eventually succumb to dampness. Waterproof plastic containers protect their contents better, seal tighter, and are easy to carry or shift around on shelves.
_
P.S. Love you sweetie - and I did not call you a rat. xoxo
_

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...